By Goth Mohamed Goth
A Three days’ Media workshop meant to formulate and draft, a 3 years strategic organizational plan with a long-term objective meant to develop an environment conducive to freedom of expression, pluralism and diversity of the media and advocate for democratic legal, policy and regulatory frameworks which protects freedom of expression, professional journalism, hosted by the Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA concluded this week.
The overall output of the 3 day meeting which drew participants from all sections of the media community countrywide with the aim of finding a consensus on how to formulate and draft an organizational strategic plan document for the coming of the three years meant to enhance the capacities of Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA, the main body representing media institutions and professionals in Somaliland in its effort to increase the enabling legal environment, professionalism, capacity, and organization of journalists in all regions of Somaliland.
The three main objectives:
- SOLJA to promote an environment conducive to freedom of expression and media development.
- Capacity building and training for journalists and media houses.
- Building the capacity of Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA as a formidable professional body that rigorously defends press freedom and freedom of expression.
- SOLJA to promote an environment conducive to freedom of expression and media development
- Creating policy and regulatory conditions conducive to press freedom;
- Enhancing national advocacy for the protection of journalists against impunity;
- Training a critical mass of media professionals in key fields of development;
- Empowering journalist through a supportive policy and regulatory environment;
- Promoting universal access and preservation of information and knowledge;
- Capacity building and training for journalists and media houses
The main objective is to improve national media practices and standards. This will be achieved through training activities targeting journalists from all media outlets and houses (governmental and non governmental) in a country that needs to positively interact and communicate with the rest of the world and benefit from access to information in a very dynamic environment.
Currently, a large number of media outlets, including TV, radio and newspapers lack training opportunities and the chance to engage with foreign media. This interaction can play a great role in supporting the development of Sudan and its people by raising awareness among the public.
Such a project will enable journalists to have the right skills in their professional field.
- Building the capacity of Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA a formidable professional body
Building the capacity of Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA, the main body representing journalist and media houses into a formidable professional body with an indomitable spirit that rigorously defends press freedom and freedom of expression in Somaliland.
With the aim being, the transformation of Somaliland Journalist Association-SOLJA, as an advocate and resource for the creation of strong, representative both state and independent journalists. With the capacity to promote editorial independence and defends the moral and material interests of journalists, including their professional training and further education.