By Goth Mohamed Goth
Earlier this week permanent secretaries and heads of livestock departments drawn from African countries converged in Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya to attend Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) meeting held on the 12 of November 15, 2014 and which was organized by the African Union.
The Republic of Somaliland was among the nations invited to attend the African Union meeting and was represented by the director general of Livestock department in the Ministry of Livestock Dr. Jama Mohamed Odawa.
Extracts of the final communiqué:-
1. In accordance with Maputo,Sirti and Malabu declarations on livestock and the expectations of the permanent secretaries and director generals of livestock departments as concerns call to governments to allocate at least 6% of the national budgets. Most governments have made it and some have even surpassed the set figure of 10% e.g government of Ethiopia.
2. Livestock development and planning program
3. The introduction of a general archive in which to track investments in the livestock sector in the African continent .To address the benefits of investing and achieving investments.
4. To Develop and engage the herders of the benefits of keeping livestock are overwhelming.
5. A)The Senegal investment fund B). The Kenya project of supplying 6 Million liters of milk to school children that catalyzes general milk production in the country.