Date: 15th August 2014
Our Ref: SLFP/TM/SLS/MAM1
Subject: Statement on the forthcoming Somaliland and Somalia meetings in Turkey
The following is the UCID statement on the forthcoming meeting between the governments of Republic of Somaliland and that of the Federal Republic of Somalia-proper:
- The UCID party acknowledges the magnitude of the forthcoming meeting between the government of the Republic of Somaliland and that of the Federal Republic of Somalia-proper, where the government of the Republic of Turkey has been and would be mediating them with the view of discussing the future relationship between the state of Somaliland and that of Somalia-proper.
- The UCID party regrets the fact that the government of the Republic of Somaliland could not attend the last meetings, as the incumbent administration of Somaliland was preoccupied with the internal quagmire within the incumbent political party. As a result, the UCID party calls upon the government of the Republic of Somaliland to ensure that the national interest of Somaliland comes before that of its political party. In this endeavour, the UCID party encourages the Somaliland foreign ministry to continue functioning and working for the people of Somaliland rather than succumbing to the internal political bickering within the incumbent party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4HuPIqFwBI).
- The UCID party calls upon the government of the Republic of Somaliland and that of the Federal Republic of Somalia-proper to move on discussing and deciding upon the real issue, which is the definition of the relation between the two states: Somaliland and Somalia.
- The UCID party points to the fact that the state of Somaliland fulfilled a long time ago Charter II, article 4, paragraph 1 of the United Nations charter.
- Therefore, the UCID party calls upon the international community to encourage the Federal Government of Somalia-proper to make a positive and speedy conclusion as to how Charter II, article 4, paragraph 2 of the United Nations charter should be applied to the state of Somaliland.
- During the forthcoming meeting in the Republic of Turkey, the UCID party calls upon both the governments of the Republic of Somaliland and that of the Federal Republic of Somalia-proper to focus on the above recommendation.
- The UCID party congratulations the government of the Republic of Turkey in taking the right steps in ensuring that the frozen conflict between the state of Somaliland and that of Somalia proper does come to an amicable conclusion that ensures the stability and security of the Horn of Africa.
- The UCID party reminds the General Secretary of the United Nations and the current chair of the Security Council to encourage the reasonable conclusion of the forthcoming meeting, while acknowledging that the people of Somaliland have been seeking to become a member of the United Nations for the last 23 years, during which the subsequent governments of Somaliland:
- Did not violate the international borders of Somalia-proper or any of the two other countries that Somaliland shares with international borders (the Republic of Djibouti and the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia).
- Somaliland has been helping the people of Somalia-proper and hosted refugees from this part of Horn of Africa and the incumbent president of Somalia-proper had benefited from this assistance and so lived as a refugee in Somaliland.
- As highlighted by section III(b) of the African Union fact finding mission report of 30th April to 4th May 2014, Somaliland has territory as defined by the colonial borders inherited from British colonial rule on accession to independence in 1960. This is also repeated in numerous publication; and that the people and the government of the Republic of Somaliland has been maintaining the security of these boarders since 1991.
- When considering the relation between the Republic of Somaliland and that of the Federal Republic of Somalia-proper, it is imperative to take into account the conclusion in section (IV)(7)(F) of the African Union fact finding mission of report of 30th April to 4th May 2014, which clearly states the consequences of not bringing the frozen conflict between the state of the Republic of Somaliland and that of Somalia to an cordial conclusion .
- The Republic of Somaliland does not violate, but adheres to Article (4)(i) of the PROTOCOL RELATING TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PEACE AND SECURITY COUNCIL OF THE AFRICAN UNION
- The Republic of Somaliland does not violate, but adheres to Article (4)(b) of the CONSTITUTIVE ACT OF THE AFRICAN UNION. In doing so, the Republic of Somaliland kept its armed forces within the colonial borders that she inherited upon the achievement of her independence on 26th June 1960.
Therefore, the UCID Party calls upon all involved parties to look at the relationship between the Republic of Somaliland and that of Federal Republic of Somalia-proper within the framework of international law, the United Nations Charter and that of the Constitutive Act of The African Union, so as to ensure the peaceful coexistence within the peoples of the Horn of Africa.
Mohamed-Aar Abdillahi Mohamed BSc, MSc, MPhil, PhD.
Welfare and Justice Party (WJP) of the Republic of Somaliland.