Somaliland:: SSE 2016 Annual Conference goes to Stockholm
Date: Friday 8th – 9th April 2016
Venue: Mittpoolen, Riksgatan 2, Stockholm, Sweden
Working Together Wins
SSE Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Conference is attended mainly by representatives of Somaliland diaspora organisations in Europe and by other members of Somaliland diaspora communities. We are pleased to announce that our 2016 Annual Conference will this year take place in Stockholm, Sweden, on 8th and 9th April 2016. The conference is hosted this year by the Umbrella Association of Somaliland Community Organisations in Sweden (SLRF).
The theme of this year is Celebrating Somaliland’s Silver Jubilee and Calibrating its Future Trajectory. There will be speeches and presentations by prominent guest speakers and friends of Somaliland from different European countries.
Main topics include:
- Current political, social and economic developments in Somaliland.
- Challenges of the on-going Somaliland democratisation process and the 2017 presidential and parliamentary elections.
- Somaliland’s case for gaining international recognition.
- Sharing information and best practices on Somaliland Diaspora issues.
Confirmed Speakers at the Conference include:
- Edna Adan Ismail, Former Somaliland Foreign Minister and Founder of Edna Adan Maternity University Hospital, Hargeisa, Republic of Somaliland.
- Ahmed Samatar, James Wallace Professor & Chair of International Studies, Founding Dean of the Institute for Global Citizenship, Macalester College.
- Gerard Prunier, Professor of Anthropology, expert on the Horn of Africa
- Amir Adan, Moderate Party Member and Member of Swedish Parliament
- Mikael Torstensson, CEO, Swedinvest, Scandinavia AB
- Mussie Aphrem, Political Scientist, Forum Syd, Sweden
- Robert Wiren, French journalist and expert on the Horn of Africa
- Representatives of Somaliland Diaspora Organisations
We are also expecting official representation from the government of the Republic of Somaliland as well as representatives of the national parties to join us.
Expected outcomes of the Conference and AGM include:
- Demonstrating the achievements of Somaliland.
- Highlighting challenges Somaliland faces and opportunities available.
- Drawing the attention of the international community on the aspirations of the people of the Republic of Somaliland.
- Exchanging best practices and exploring collaborative joint projects between SSE member organisations.
- Highlighting benefits of SSE networking and finding out ways of improving communication, collaboration and strategic alliance.
- Electing and endorsing a new SSE Executive Committee.
For more information please contact the following preparatory committee of the event:
- Abdourahman Yassin, Chair of SSE Tel: 0033+689831266
- Zakarie Hassan Waes, Chair of Somaliland Umbrella organisations in Sweden,Tel: 0046+707770503
- Ali Hassan, Tel: 0046+72 252 4099
- Mustafa Ismail, Tel: 0046+73 9055744
- Iid Hassan, SSE Executive Member), Tel: 0044+7870515334
- Moote Haji Ali BOTAN, SSE Executive Member, Tel: 0044+7912639319
- -Abdillahi Heef, SSE Executive Member, Tel: 0045+25539315
The SSE Executive