By Goth Mohamed Goth
The government of Somaliland has announced that it won’t allow the federal government of Somalia to administer funds meant to be used in Somaliland and won’t be recipients of such funds this after being angered by a recent decision by the African Development Bank to grant the federal government of Somalia a loan package meant to finance the cost of the Somaliland Statistical Capacity Building, and intends to apply part of the agreed amount for this Grant to payments under the contract for Consultancy Services.
In a press statement release By the Somaliland Ministry of National Planning and signed by the Minister of National Planning Dr. Sacad Ali Shire we have been working on this project for the last 2 years and its sad to see the African Development Bank awarding the SFG the loan without even considering the facts on the ground.
“We had previously agreed with African Development Bank that we shall own the utilize the loan through a single vehicle (SDF) which donors can support Somaliland’s development goals this in regard to country-ownership, use of country systems, harmonisation with Somaliland’s National Development Plan, and mechanisms for a gradual movement to government systems and which means we for the last 23 years being using our own arrangement hence the decision not allow the federal government of Somalia to act on our behalf in anyway or form, he said.
The Minister of National Planning added , “GoSL has expressed its own preference to channel external support and commitment by GoSL to improve aid effectiveness and move to innovative delivery mechanisms in ways that are tailored specifically to the Somaliland context.
AFDB Press Release on the Somaliland Statistical Capacity Building Project Grant
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Somaliland Statistical Capacity Building Project
Financing Agreement reference: P-SO-KFO-004
Project ID No.: 5900155005952
1. The Federal Republic of Somalia has received financing from the African Development Fund toward the cost of the Somaliland Statistical Capacity Building, and intends to apply part of the agreed amount for this Grant to payments under the contract for Consultancy Services.
2. The services included under this project are: institutional reform and organizational change of the Central Statistics Department of the Somaliland Ministry of Planning and Development, staff short and long-term training, and upgrading of existing information technology network of the Central Statistics Department through supply and installation of server based network. The Director of the Central Statistics Department of the Ministry of Planning and Development is responsible for the implementation of the projects. The execution of the project is expected to take one year.
3. The Somaliland Ministry of Planning and Development now invites eligible consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.). Consultants may constitute joint-ventures to enhance their chances of qualification.
4. Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s “Rules and Procedures for the use of Consultants” of July 2012, which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
5. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 8 hours to 17 Hours.
6. Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by 2 May, 2014, 2014 at 17 hours local Somalia time and mention “Somaliland Statistical Capacity Building Project”.
Somaliland Ministry of Planning and Development
Attn.; Mr Hassan Jam
Hargiesa, Somaliland, Somalia
With Copy to
Fragile States Départent,
African Développent Bank
BP 323 – 1002 Tunis Belvédère Tunisie
Attn : Mr. Bruno Boedts
TEL LD: (216) -71 10 16 53
FAX: (216) -71 33 55 37