Djibouti, April 5, 2014
1. Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
2. No one may be compelled to belong to an association. (Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
The right of peaceful assembly shall be recognized. The exercise of this right may be subject only to restrictions imposed in accordance with law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety, public order or to protect public health or morals or the rights and freedoms of others. (1966 Covenant on Civil and Political Rights)
- Repression Friday, March 28, 2014 in Balbala Sheikh Moussa
As usual, at the end of Friday prayers, the police charged the activists and leaders of the USN present on the site. Activists and ordinary citizens were arrested including the young Hussein Aden still owned and currently placed in term deposit Gabode.
In addition, the left window of the car of Dr. ABBATTE Ebo Adou, Vice-President of Model (party affiliated to the opposition coalition) and Delegate Evaluation and Optimization of USN, was broken.
Beyond arrests and violence against activists and political opposition leaders, it is sad to note that irrational mechanism set up by the power to reprimand any initiative to free expression and peaceful on the one hand and lack of respect vis-à-vis the major political party leaders on the other.
- Arrest warrant placement of 2 young activists USN
Mawlid Iltireh and Omar Mohamoud Gedi said Moussa Walo were arrested Sunday, March 30, 2014. It’s Thursday, April 3, 2014 they were brought before a judge in violation of the Code of Criminal Procedure to be placed then warrant the central prison Gabode. Moussa Mohamed Gedi was the victim of gratuitous violence from a penitentiary when placed in custody. This demonstrates the recurrent violence are routinely subjected detainees in prison Gabode.
- Ban opposition rally Monday, March 31, 2014
After recurrent refusal to receive correspondence from the opposition by the Minister of the Interior and the Minister 1, the President of the opposition coalition, USN (Union for National Hi) wrote information to the President of the Republic to inform him of the holding of a meeting of the opposition UDJ Headquarters (affiliated with the USN training). The answer to the newsletter of the outfit was on the ground by occupancy, a grid of the city by the forces of order, placement of filter dams, a summons to officials of the main homes policies, ….
As stated in the preamble of the Declaration of Human Rights, it is essential that human rights are protected by the rule of law for man is not compelled, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression
The ODDH called once again to the public:
- To comply with the constitutional provisions on the protection of citizens, respect for fundamental freedoms, the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Universal Declaration of rights.
- At the unconditional release of all political prisoners, cessation of prosecutions and harassment sympathizers, activists of the opposition but also associations and citizens wrongly or rightly as close to the opposition,
- At the culmination of a sincere and frank political dialogue,
- In the implementation of democratic reforms to pave the way for a genuine rule of law.
Act for democracy, dignity and justice.
The President of the ODDH
Farah Abdillahi Miguil