Djibouti, March 26, 2014
The NGO BIRI AL-AL-BIRI Charitable Association, founded in 1994, the Republic of Djibouti, administrative dissolved following a political decision by an association that his commitment, selflessness, seriousness, may have the title of ” advisory status to the United Nations. “Unfortunately once again it is the independence and community involvement Djiboutian citizens who are sanctioned by the politico-administrative dissolution.
Moreover, by virtue of its status, Al-Biri Association has always strived to maintain its neutrality and reject any political stance. And yet, this has led repeatedly confrontations with members of the ruling party. Moreover, for the current regime “no salvation outside the party” is the policy of “you’re with us or you’re against us.”
I. The sequence of events
· On 14 February 2013, the Minister of the Interior sent a letter to the NGO Al-Biri in which he criticized the use of the headquarters of the association for political purposes. Immediately, the leaders of the association addressed a letter to the Minister 1 in which they recalled their neutrality and non-interference in the political life of the country.
· 5, 6 and 7 August 2013, the President of the Association Mohamoud Robleh Dabar is the subject of an investigation by agents of the SDS (Service of Documentation and Security), a kind of political police whose power often used against opponents.
· September 26, 2013, an order is issued by the Court of First Instance which freezes al-Biri accounts for suspected terrorist activities.
· On 9 October 2013 the director of general administration and regulation of the Ministry of Interior address a letter to the association on the dissolution of the association.
· On 25 December 2013 resignation of the President of the NGO MOHAMOUD ROBLEH DABAR following multiple pressures power.
· January 7, 2013, seized Al-biri fund several local banks (Saba Bank, Salam Bank Dahabshil Bank and the bank BCI-MR) following the order made by the President of the Court of 1 era Instance by a bailiff. The amount of funds provided is $ 32,500,000 FD (thirty two million five hundred thousand francs Djibouti).
· On 8 February 2013, action Broadcast Hassan Aden Aden Aden said Balalo Minister of Muslim Affairs, Culture and Awqaf While announcing the dissolution of the Al-Biri association and the vesting of all the property of the association Diwan Al-Zakat.
II. The school run by the NGO Al-Biri
Al-Biri school offers courses from kindergarten to class 5th Year (equivalent of CM2 in the French curriculum) in French. The school is attended regularly by 265 (two hundred and sixty five) students aged 3 to 11 years.
· Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at around 12:30, the school was raided by police rapid intervention to evacuate the place and padlocked the site of the association. This sad event took place under the eyes of the astonished children and traumatized by the presence of uniformed and armed.
· During the week from Saturday 8 to Thursday, March 13, 2014, management of the school was the victim of a sustained by officials of the Ministry of Muslim Affairs, Culture and Awqaf often accompanied by uniformed police harassment and sometimes weapons. Threats, pressures of all kinds that have outlets Thursday, March 13, 2014 with the arrest of director Abdurahman Ahmed Youssouf school, secretary Aicha Robleh and Musa Hassan, Mohamed Mahamoud, Mahad Ali and Mohamed Hassan with all responsibilities within the NGO or school. Arrested around 9:30 am and detained in 2nd District Police is around 21:30 they were released. The trauma suffered by the children, teachers and the management team during this week will take time to heal.
Why send a police commando in a school?
Why traumatize to develop children and teachers without political commitment?
Why not wait until the end of the year does not create an administrative and educational discontinuity?
The ODDH recommends to comply with the constitutional provisions on the protection of citizens, respect for fundamental freedoms, the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights as well as ‘the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The ODDH calls once again for an end to harassment and prosecution sympathizers, activists of the opposition but also associations and citizens wrongly or rightly as close to the opposition.
Act for democracy, dignity and justice.
The President of the ODDH
Farah Abdillahi Miguil